Simple Web Search
Edited on <%=gmdate("F jS, Y, H:i", filemtime("sws.html.php3"))%> UT.
Simple Web Search 1.0
This is a relatively simple script that allows you to search a
SWISH-E index using the SWISH-E 1.X.X Binary and PHP3. OK, granted, it offers vastly more complex
searches than something like Altavista; however, I
still consider it fairly simple in terms of real searching power.
I have incorporated many suggestions and bug fixes from Jason Birch.
Thanks! All suggestions and bug fixes/reports are welcome.
Features in 1.0
- Limit searches to Head, Title, Body, Heading(H#), Emphasis,
and Comment. This feature can be disabled via config option.
- Display specified meta tag contents. You may disable
this in the config.
- Multiple indices available via drop-down select box.
Indices are specified in a configuration array.
- Max number of hits via drop-down select box.
10, 50, 100, 500 are available. You can
add your own quite easily by editing a configuration array.
- Prints date-time the index was last updated.
- Time required to complete search is printed at the
bottom of the results page. This is mandatory for the moment.
- Four levels of debugging available via config option. This is set
to level 2 by default. This will save you the trouble of setting it to level 2 when the
script doesn't work right for your first test run. (Ain't I an optimist?) You should set
debug to level 0 (disable) before making the script public.
- Seperate configuration file.
- Various other useful stuff.
Bug fixes and changes from previous versions
- Fixed parenthetical searches e.g. "(John and Jane) or doe"
- Fixed problems introduced in beta 4 with next and previous buttons while using a single
search index on non-English (Specifically Russian and Estonian, but, likely most other
Central/Eastern languages) indices. Is that obscure or what?
- I'm sure there was a third bug which was fixed. Oh well, must've been even more obscure…
- Performance enhancements and code condensing.
- Began rewriting some of the common code and moving it
into a functions file.
- Fixed the wildcard and some boolean searches.
- META tag description support using SWISH-E's native
- Implement other command-line options in a user-friendly manner.
- Move core code to a separate classes file.
- Add stable search support for multiple, simultaneous indices.
- Rewrite the SWS core in ANSI C with native SWISH-E search support.
SWISH-E would be used for indexing and command line searching, SWS would
act as a web searcher/interpreter. Tall order however very feasible.
(Dave's warped idea, in case anyone was wondering.)
- Send me a message if you have a wish to add to the list.
- Web Augur Search Engine Try searching for
"SWISH" in the various indices. This is using the latest development SWS.